Democratic National Convention Special Panels and Breakout Sessions (full speaking schedule starts at 5 p.m., see below for more details):
9:30 a.m. - 11 a.m. R+D and America’s Energy Outlook. Moderator: Amy Harder, Energy and Environment correspondent, National Journal. Panelists: Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.); Marvin Fertel, president and CEO, Nuclear Energy Institute; Mike Howard, CEO, Electric Power Research Institute; Michael Levi, senior fellow, Council on Foreign Relations; Richard Newell, Gendell Associate Professor of Energy and Environmental Economics at the Nicholas School of the Environment at Duke University, and director of The Energy Initiative.
10 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. Introduction - Speakers: Madeleine Albright, former secretary of state and chairman of the National Democratic Institute; Kenneth Wollack, president, NDI; Dan Murrey, executive director, Charlotte in 2012 Host Committee.
10:15 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. The 2012 Campaign: The Role of Primaries, Nominating Conventions and Presidential Debates. Panelists: Frank Fahrenkopf, former chairman of the Republican National Committee and co-chairman of the Commission on Presidential Debates; Paul Kirk, former senator, co-chairman emeritus of the Commission on Presidential Debates, and former Democratic National Committee chairman; Howard Dean, former governor of Vermont and former DNC chairman; and Elaine Kamarck, Harvard lecturer and former Clinton White House senior policy adviser Moderator: Eugene Robinson, Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist, The Washington Post.
11:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. Latino leaders luncheon: Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, chairman of the Democratic National Convention, will be honored.
Location: Marriott City Center (Grand Ballroom), Charlotte .
12 p.m. - 2 p.m. Caucus Session 2. LGBT Caucus (Room 203AB). Senior Council (Room 211AB/212AB).
12 p.m. - 2 p.m. The U.S. Conference of Mayors delegation holds a luncheon and press availability.
Location: Omni Hotel, Grand Ballroom, 132 East Trade St., Charlotte.
2 p.m. - 4 p.m. Caucus Session 2. LGBT Caucus (Room 203AB). Senior Council (Room 211AB/212AB).
3:15 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. How They Would Govern - Panelists cover how the next administration would turn campaign promises into reality, including working with Congress and setting priorities, all within the context of our contemporary political process and challenges in the U.S. and throughout the world. Panelists: Tom Daschle, former Senate majority leader, co-chairman, ONE Vote
2012, and vice chairman of the NDI; Vin Weber, former congressman and former chairman of the National Endowment for Democracy; John Podesta, chairman and counselor of the Center for American Progress, former White House chief of staff under President Bill Clinton; Ryan Lizza, Washington correspondent for The New Yorker; Scot Lehigh, columnist for The Boston Globe - Moderators: Norman Ornstein, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute; John Fortier, director of the Democracy Project at the Bipartisan Policy Center.
3 p.m. - 5 p.m. - Voto Latino hosts policy forum “People Powered Politics,” addressing immigration, economics and education. Participants include: Rosario Dawson, Maria Teresa Kumar, Cecile Richards, Javier Palomarez, Lily Eskelsen, Jose Antonio Vargas and Rep. Xavier Becerra (D-Calif.).
3:30 p.m. - 5 p.m. Religious Liberty Panel - Catholics for Choice hosts a panel discussion on “Keeping Faith in the Democratic Party: Protecting Religious Liberty for Everyone,” featuring speakers from member organizations of the Coalition for Liberty & Justice.
Location: Holiday Inn Charlotte Center City, 230 North College St., Charlotte.
The fun begins (highlights in bold) ... all speeches from the Time Warner Cable Center:
5:00 P.M. – 6:00 P.M.:
• Call to Order by DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz
• Invocation by His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas, Bishop of the Greek Orthodox Diocese of Detroit
• Presentation of Colors, Disabled American Veterans, The Stanly County Chapter 12 Honor Guard
• Pledge of Allegiance, 3rd Grade Class, W.R. O’Dell Elementary School from Concord, North Carolina
• National Anthem by ‘Glee’ actress Amber Riley
• Stephen J. Kerrigan, Chief Executive Officer of the Democratic National Convention Committee
• Welcome Video
• Presentation of Credentials Committee Report from Co-Chairs
• Presentation of Rules Committee Report from Co-Chairs
• Appointment of Convention Officers
• Gaveling-in of Permanent Chair
• The Honorable Steny Hoyer
• Andrew Tobias
• Alice Germond
• Roll Call for Attendance
6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.:
• Platform Committee Remarks by Rep. Barbara Lee (Calif.) and Lieutenant General Claudia Kennedy (Retired)
• Platform Video and Remarks by Newark Mayor Cory A. Booker
• Remarks by N.C. Gov. Bev. Perdue
• American Hero Video: Education
• American Voices Remarks by Ryan Case
• Mary Kay Henry from International President of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
• Rep. Charles Gonzalez (Texas) and Rep. Nydia M. Velázquez (N.Y.)
• Gov. Pat Quinn (Ill.)
• Ohio firefighter Doug Stern
• Va. Senate candidate and former governor Tim Kaine
7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
• Charlotte Mayor Anthony R. Foxx and Sen. Harry Reid (Nev.)
• An Economy Built to Last Video: Education
• Women of the US House of Representatives
• Jimmy Carter Video
• Ken Salazar
• Kennedy Family Tribute Video
• Joe Kennedy III, Mass. House candidate
• Singer Ledisi
• Fomer Rep. Robert Wexler (Fla.)
8:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
• Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak
• Rep. Jared Polis (Colo.)
• Stronger Together Video: Reproductive Choice
• Maria Ciano, American Voices
• Nancy Keenan , President of the National Abortion Rights Action League - Pro-Choice America (NARAL)
• Progress for People Video: American Veterans
• Nate Davis, American Voices
• House candidate Tammy Duckworth (Ill.)
• Gov. Lincoln Chafee(R.I.)
• Rep. James E. Clyburn (S.C.)
• Progress for People Video: Health Care
• Stacey Lihn
• Rep. Xavier Becerra (Calif.)
9:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
• Former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland
• HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius
• Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel
• Kal Penn, actor and former Associate Director of the White House Office of Public Engagement
• Craig Robinson and Maya Soetoro-ng, Brother of Mrs. Obama and Sister of President Obama
• Stronger Together Video: Equal Pay
• Lilly Ledbetter
• Gov. Deval Patrick (Mass.)
10:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
• Gov. Martin O’Malley (Md.)
• Joaquin Castro, Texas House candidate and brother of keynote speaker
• Julián Castro, Mayor of San Antonio
• Michelle Obama Video and Remarks by Elaine Brye
• Michelle Obama