1. The Academy Awards were first televised in 1953, with Bob Hope serving as master of ceremonies.
2. The Supporting Actor/Actress Awards were introduced in 1936.
3. From 1934 - 1960, the Academy offered a special Juvenile Award. Past winners include Judy Garland, Shirley Temple and Hayley Mills. Were that category still in effect, Beasts of the Southern Wild's Quevenzhane Wallis, the youngest Best Actress nominee ever, would likely have seen an Academy Juvenile Award nomination (and win?) instead.
4. In 2009, the Best Picture category was expanded from five films to ten.
5. The Animated Feature Film Award was introduced in 2001. The inaugural winner was "Shrek."