These Are the Emojis That'll Get You Laid More, According to OkCupid

Source: Mic/Getty Images

When attempting to woo a stranger on a dating app, which emojis are the best emojis? Should you kick things off with an innocuous smiley face? A playful wink? A brazen eggplant?

Thanks to a brand new data dump from OkCupid, we now know the answer is actually none of the above. The site has compiled its top five response-generating emojis, and the results may actually surprise you:

Who knew that the notoriously chill hookup culture generation was so into emotions?!

Even though these emojis are more likely to merit a response, it seems that only a brave few actually use them. These are the site's actual most used emojis, many of which align closely with past research stating which emojis single men and women are most likely to use. Please note the painfully safe blushing emoji, the predictable heart emoji and the profoundly chill-but-not-chill winky-face emoji:

Source: OkCupid

While it's slightly troubling that two of the top five response-generating emojis involve tears (why are you crying?), it is enlightening to know that playing it totally safe with one's emoji game doesn't actually pay off in the long run.

According to the OkCupid data, however, the worst offense one could commit when trying to strike up a conversation with a stranger isn't sending a dreaded winky face. It's simply saying "hey." OkCupid reports that this opener has an 84% chance of being ignored. (We can only assume that the 16% of users for whom "hey" actually does work are, like, model-hot people who have never had to work hard for anything in their lives.)

Perhaps the most interesting facet of the research is OkCupid's breakdown of which states have the highest rates of users claiming to only have an interest in casual sex. Turns out the horniest and most noncommittal state is Oregon, with 15.51% of users looking to hook up. Meanwhile, New Jersey — home of the (apparently misrepresentative) Jersey Shore — is the least casual sex-friendly, with just 10.34% of users looking to bang (or smoosh, as it were). 

That the segment of users looking for hookups is a clear minority on the site overall seems a little counterintuitive to everyone's fave narrative of millennials as "the Tinder generation," but it's not the first time research has suggested that singles want something more than a quick lay. A 2014 Pew Research survey found that even though the marriage rate is plummeting, millennials are still overwhelmingly interested in settling down and getting married — they're just doing it a bit later than their parents did. 

So there you have it: Singles on OkCupid are still looking for love and not just casual sex, despite rumors to the contrary. And if our favorite emojis are any indication, we're all a bunch of big ol' softies. So keep the eggplant emojis in your pants, gentlemen. You're not impressing anyone. 

h/t OkCupid 

How likely are you to make Mic your go-to news source?

Nicolas DiDomizio

Nicolas DiDomizio is a Staff Connections Writer at Mic. Prior to Mic, he was at MTV for 3 years. He holds a masters from NYU and a bachelors from Western Connecticut State University. Contact him at nic@mic.com.

MORE FROM

There's a new effort to recall Judge Aaron Perksy, who sentenced Brock Turner

If voters in Persky's county collect enough signatures, the judge could be on the chopping block in 2018.

A Czech company made interns compete in a bikini contest to get hired

A spokesperson from the company said the competition was to "promote technical education."

Trump's Medicaid and immigration policies will make home health care more expensive

The predominately female work force that serves the elderly and people with disabilities in their homes is under fire from two fronts.

Poland makes emergency contraception a prescription-only drug — even for rape survivors

There's a relatively small time frame in which emergency contraception is effective. Requiring prescriptions may mean many Polish women will go without.

Bill Cosby publicists insist speaking tour has nothing to do with sexual assault

Ebonee Benson and Andrew Wyatt accused the media of twisting Wyatt's words, when really there is a video record of his announcement.

Third Vanderbilt football player, Brandon Banks, convicted in rape case

A jury found Brandon Banks guilty on one count of aggravated rape and one count of sexual battery, sending him to a probable 15 years in prison.

There's a new effort to recall Judge Aaron Perksy, who sentenced Brock Turner

If voters in Persky's county collect enough signatures, the judge could be on the chopping block in 2018.

A Czech company made interns compete in a bikini contest to get hired

A spokesperson from the company said the competition was to "promote technical education."

Trump's Medicaid and immigration policies will make home health care more expensive

The predominately female work force that serves the elderly and people with disabilities in their homes is under fire from two fronts.

Poland makes emergency contraception a prescription-only drug — even for rape survivors

There's a relatively small time frame in which emergency contraception is effective. Requiring prescriptions may mean many Polish women will go without.

Bill Cosby publicists insist speaking tour has nothing to do with sexual assault

Ebonee Benson and Andrew Wyatt accused the media of twisting Wyatt's words, when really there is a video record of his announcement.

Third Vanderbilt football player, Brandon Banks, convicted in rape case

A jury found Brandon Banks guilty on one count of aggravated rape and one count of sexual battery, sending him to a probable 15 years in prison.