Karaoke is usually a group activity that initially sounds good on paper, but quickly turns sour as soon as you and your friends arrive at the karaoke spot. Here are some of the issues that can wreck your karaoke night:
1. Self-consciousness, stemming from your friends' ability, or inability, to sing
2. Debilitating stage fright or shyness from having to sing in front of a crowd, as opposed to singing in your car
3. Not knowing which songs to pick
Have no fear, these next 10 songs will overcome any roadblock keeping you and your friends from having a memorable karaoke experience.
• The Secret Meaning Behind Coldplay, Bruno Mars and Beyoncé's Halftime Performance
• Jay Z's Tidal to Donate $1.5 Million To Black Lives Matter, Other Social Justice Groups
• Watch Lady Gaga Absolutely Slay the National Anthem at the Super Bowl
1. "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen
Perfect for... Anyone who is relying on others to fill in the lyrics; lovers of attempts at falsetto; Enthusiasts for the opera section, if only to say "Scaramouch, scaramouch will you do the fandango..."
See also: "Under Pressure" by Queen & David Bowie; "My Girl" by The Temptations; "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler; "When Doves Cry" by Prince; "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand
2. "Killing Me Softly" by The Fugees
Perfect for... '90s R&B fans; Anyone still holding out for a Lauryn Hill comeback.
See also: "Just Friends (Sunny)" by Musiq Soulchild; "Weak" by SWV; "Again" by Janet Jackson; "One in a Million" by Aaliyah; "Real Love" by Mary J. Blige
3. "What's Up?" by 4 Non Blondes
Perfect for... The soloist; He-Man fans
See also: "Space Oddity" by David Bowie; "Ordinary People" by John Legend; "Honesty" by Billy Joel; "I Try" by Macy Gray; "Criminal" by Fiona Apple; "Don't Speak" by No Doubt
4. "Creep" by Radiohead
Perfect for... The "I grew up listening to alternative radio" crowd.
See also: "Wonderwall" by Oasis; "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" by The Smiths; "Losing My Religion" by R.E.M.; "Come as You Are" by Nirvana
5. "Mo Money Mo Problems" by The Notorious B.I.G. feat. Mase and Puff Daddy.
Perfect for... Those who want to prove their verbal dexterity and/or ability for memorization.
See also: "Ignition" (Remix) by R. Kelly; "Return of the Mack" by Mark Morrison; "This Is How We Do It" by Montell Jordan
6. "Yesterday" by The Beatles
Perfect for... Anyone, really; there's always an obligatory Beatles song.
See also: "Across The Universe (Nothing's Gonna Change)"; "Let It Be"; "Hey Jude"; "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
7. "Take On Me" by A-Ha
Perfect for... Anyone who wants to test their ability to hit notes outside their natural vocal range.
See also: "Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinéad O'Connor; "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" by Jennifer Holliday or Jennifer Hudson; "Thinkin Bout You" by Frank Ocean
8. "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order
Perfect for... The late-80s/90s synthpop, new wave, and post-punk crowd.
See also: "Enjoy The Silence" by Depeche Mode; "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division; "Love Song" by The Cure
9. "Back to Black" by Amy Winehouse
Perfect for... Enthusiasts of contemporary ballads.
See also: "Hello" by Adele; "Video Games" by Lana Del Rey; "Stay" by Rihanna feat. Mikky Ekko; "Wildest Moments" by Jessie Ware
10. "Hey Ya!" by OutKast
Perfect for... Those who want to be kitschy and/or get downright silly.
See also: "No Scrubs" by TLC; "Wannabe" by Spice Girls; "I Want It That Way" by Backstreet Boys; "Fuck You" by CeeLo Green; "Paparazzi" by Lady Gaga; "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin