Multiple reports confirm that two explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Zaventem airport killed at least 11 people and dozens more injured Tuesday morning.
Another explosion in Brussels less than an hour later at Maalbeek Metro station killed at least 20, and early reports indicated 55 more were injured, officials said Tuesday morning. By Tuesday evening local time, the death toll from the explosions in the city had risen to at least 34, with 230 total people injured.
The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, Reuters reported. So far, two brothers have been identified as suicide bombers, with a will found stashed in an airport trashcan, the Associated Press reported.
(Editor's note: The following photos contain graphic footage of the aftermath of Tuesday's attacks. View with discretion.)
After the deadly explosion at Zaventem, another explosion took place at Maalbeek Metro station during morning rush hour in the heart of Brussels, just steps away from the headquarters of the European Union.
"There are victims, serious injury, people have died. I have no idea yet on the numbers of injured or dead," Christian De Coninck, a spokesman for the Brussels police, told the Associated Press.
STIB, the train operator, reported early on that at least 15 were killed and 55 more were injured in the Maalbeek blast, according to Bloomberg. Later in the day, the BBC estimated about 20 deaths and 106 injuries at Maalbeek.
"The metro was leaving Maalbeek subway station when there was a really loud explosion," a witness named Alexandre Brans told the AP while reportedly wiping blood from his face. "It was panic everywhere. There were a lot of people in the metro."
The timing of the blasts occurs just four days after Paris attack suspect Salah Abdeslam was shot and arrested in the Molenbeek district of Brussels.
Hours after the explosion at Maalbeek, a blast at a third location in Brussels from "a controlled explosion of a suspect package" was reported by multiple outlets.
AFP reports that Belgium has raised the terror threat level to its highest.
"What we feared has happened,'' Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said at a press conference Tuesday, adding that authorities are worried there will be more attacks. "There are many dead, many injured. We realize we face a tragic moment. We have to be calm and show solidarity."
March 23, 2016, 10:48 a.m.: This story has been updated.