San Francisco Mandated Paid Parental Leave Making It the First US City to Do So

San Francisco Mandated Paid Parental Leave Making It the First US City to Do So
Source: Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

In a milestone for proponents of paid parental leave, San Francisco became the first city to offer fully funded paid time off for new parents. The ordinance passed by a unanimous decision of the city Board of Supervisors will take effect in 2017.

"The U.S. is so far behind the rest of the world in providing access to parental leave, and low income workers are particularly denied access," Supervisor Scott Wiener said on Facebook. "This legislation is a great step forward for working families. Let's keep the momentum going!" 

Read more: He Was the First Japanese MP to Take Paternity Leave — But There's Been a Scandalous Twist

Under the plan, 45% of employee salaries would be paid by employers while the remaining 55% would come from a state disability fund, with a ceiling on wages beyond $106,740.

Historically one of the nation's most progressive cities, San Francisco has long been ahead of the curve on the subject with the city's roughly 30,000 employees already receiving 12 weeks of paid leave. 

Also this week, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a similar bill that would grant 12 weeks of paid parental leave to private sector workers, but that would only phased in by 2021. Around the country, California, New Jersey and Rhode island also offer some amount of partial paid leave as well. 

How much do you trust the information in this article?

Jon Levine

Jon Levine is a staff writer at Mic, covering politics and people. He is based in New York and can be reached at JLevine@mic.com.

MORE FROM

‘New York Times’ interview sparks latest wave of GOP frustration with Trump

The President’s “disturbing” comments on Jeff Sessions and Special Counsel Robert Mueller drew sharp rebukes from his own party.

Jordan Edwards’ mother speaks out after Monday’s indictment of the officer who killed her son

“We will not allow Jordan’s death to be another statistic.”

Trump keeps saying he wants to “let Obamacare fail.” How would that happen?

There are several ways the administration could sabotage the law, experts said.

AIDS deaths are almost half of what they were in 2005 — but experts worry Trump could reverse that

Trump's proposed budget cuts could be detrimental for those living with HIV.

OJ Simpson granted parole after nine years in prison

After serving nine years in prison for a 2007 armed robbery, OJ Simpson was granted parole in a unanimous vote on Thursday.

Black Lives Matter activists respond to the police shooting of Justine Damond

“Some white people don’t feel the tragedy until one of them is murdered.”

‘New York Times’ interview sparks latest wave of GOP frustration with Trump

The President’s “disturbing” comments on Jeff Sessions and Special Counsel Robert Mueller drew sharp rebukes from his own party.

Jordan Edwards’ mother speaks out after Monday’s indictment of the officer who killed her son

“We will not allow Jordan’s death to be another statistic.”

Trump keeps saying he wants to “let Obamacare fail.” How would that happen?

There are several ways the administration could sabotage the law, experts said.

AIDS deaths are almost half of what they were in 2005 — but experts worry Trump could reverse that

Trump's proposed budget cuts could be detrimental for those living with HIV.

OJ Simpson granted parole after nine years in prison

After serving nine years in prison for a 2007 armed robbery, OJ Simpson was granted parole in a unanimous vote on Thursday.

Black Lives Matter activists respond to the police shooting of Justine Damond

“Some white people don’t feel the tragedy until one of them is murdered.”