Lightning Strikes in Bangladesh Kill Over 60 People as Tropical Storms Persist

Source: Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

Over the last four days, dangerous tropical storms in Bangladesh have killed 65 people by lightning strike, according to CNN. Thursday had the most deaths from lightning strikes, at 34. Friday saw 21 deaths by lightning, followed by 10 over the weekend.

Bangladesh is in the middle of its severe storm season, which runs from March to June. Lightning strikes are not uncommon in the low-lying country, especially in light of deforestation and the increased use of metal devices like cell phones, according to ABC News

"We are discussing with our meteorological experts on why the deaths are higher this year," Reaz Ahmed, the director general of the country's Department of Disaster Management, told CNN.

Most of the victims were farmers or construction workers from the rural northern and central regions. For reparations, the government will give $253 to families whose loved ones have died and $126 to the families of those injured. 

The government is also working on rolling out a public campaign that will help teach people to protect themselves against lightning. However, there's no official government agency that specifically tracks injuries and deaths from lightning. 

Typically, 300 Bangladeshis are killed each year by lightning, according to NBC News. But in the United States, there's an average of 49 lightning-related deaths. 

There's a 10% chance of dying if struck by lightning, and a 90% chance of receiving some sort of disability, according to the National Weather Service.

Scientifically, someone has a 1 in 12,000 chance of getting struck by lightning in their lifetime.

Read more: Bangladesh Is One of the Worst Countries for Child Marriage — for One Horrible Reason

How likely are you to make Mic your go-to news source?

Kathleen Wong

Kathleen is a branded content staff writer at Mic. She is based in New York and can be reached at kathleen@mic.com.

MORE FROM

Will Justice Anthony Kennedy retire at end of Supreme Court term? Here's what we know.

Rumors that the 80-year-old swing justice may leave the bench are fueling fear of a second Trump pick on the nation's high court.

3 states and D.C. allow same flammable building materials behind Grenfell Tower fire

The causes of London's Grenfell Tower are similar to the justifications used to waive fire regulations in the U.S.

New Jersey bill would require kids to be taught how to interact with police

Students from kindergarten through 12th grade would receive the education.

UK Parliament hit with cyberattack

Members of Parliament had difficulty accessing their emails Saturday in the wake of the attack.

Istanbul LGBT pride march banned by government for safety concerns

A right-wing nationalist group has vowed to stop the protest.

Compounds seized by US in December reportedly contained material useful in Russia probe

The Trump administration has reportedly been considering returning the New York and Maryland compounds to Russia.

Will Justice Anthony Kennedy retire at end of Supreme Court term? Here's what we know.

Rumors that the 80-year-old swing justice may leave the bench are fueling fear of a second Trump pick on the nation's high court.

3 states and D.C. allow same flammable building materials behind Grenfell Tower fire

The causes of London's Grenfell Tower are similar to the justifications used to waive fire regulations in the U.S.

New Jersey bill would require kids to be taught how to interact with police

Students from kindergarten through 12th grade would receive the education.

UK Parliament hit with cyberattack

Members of Parliament had difficulty accessing their emails Saturday in the wake of the attack.

Istanbul LGBT pride march banned by government for safety concerns

A right-wing nationalist group has vowed to stop the protest.

Compounds seized by US in December reportedly contained material useful in Russia probe

The Trump administration has reportedly been considering returning the New York and Maryland compounds to Russia.