Election Predictions 2016: Who's leading, and who's expected to win?

Source: Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

With the presidential election fast approaching and the race tightening, the contest between former Secretary of State and Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and her rival, Republican nominee Donald Trump, is about to come to a head. Current polls show Clinton with an edge over her rival, but her lead is narrower than it was this time last week.

The latest presidential polls

According to RealClearPolitics, the latest polls give Clinton, on average, a 2.8-point lead over Trump. A Politico/Morning Consult poll conducted over the weekend showed Clinton with a 3-point lead over Trump. Polls don't automatically translate into results, but across the board, Clinton is maintaining a small national lead over Trump. She's also leading in many of the swing states she'll need in order to win. 

On Monday, FiveThirtyEight gave Clinton a 78.1% chance of winning the presidency over Trump's 21.9% chance.

Trump supporters cheer on their candidate at a recent rally.
Source: 
Evan Vucci/AP

Don't count Trump out

Despite polls showing Clinton with an edge over Trump, some experts are still predicting that Trump could win the election in what would be an historic upset. Allan J. Lichtman, a professor of history at American University who has correctly predicted 30 years of presidential elections, has been calling a Trump victory since September based on his own rubric of historical predictors, and, as of Friday, was still sticking to his prediction, the Washington Post reported. 

Lichtman may be in the minority in predicting a Trump win, but, with polls still showing a relatively close race, it's much too early to declare a Clinton victory.

How likely are you to make Mic your go-to news source?

Anna Swartz

Anna is a staff writer for Mic covering breaking news. She can be reached at aswartz@mic.com.

MORE FROM

White House says it knows of potential Syrian chemical attack, warns Assad of "heavy price"

The Trump administration did not provide any evidence backing the threat.

Serena Williams responds to John McEnroe's comments saying she would rank "like 700" against men

Williams said his statements were "not factually based."

People are way less likely to be helpful when it's hot out, according to study

Sorry, it's too hot out to help you move.

Democrats, the American Medical Association and US bishops blast the Senate health care bill

According to the Congressional Budget Office, 15 million more Americans will be without health insurance next year if the bill passes.

Dow Jones won’t talk about its reported pay gap problem

A study released by the union representing Dow Jones employees found evidence of a "significant pay gap between men and women" who had the same job title and level of experience.

Mom slams ACA repeal, shows what's at stake in a tweetstorm about son's health

This mom says that without the ACA, her son wouldn't get the medical care he desperately needs.

White House says it knows of potential Syrian chemical attack, warns Assad of "heavy price"

The Trump administration did not provide any evidence backing the threat.

Serena Williams responds to John McEnroe's comments saying she would rank "like 700" against men

Williams said his statements were "not factually based."

People are way less likely to be helpful when it's hot out, according to study

Sorry, it's too hot out to help you move.

Democrats, the American Medical Association and US bishops blast the Senate health care bill

According to the Congressional Budget Office, 15 million more Americans will be without health insurance next year if the bill passes.

Dow Jones won’t talk about its reported pay gap problem

A study released by the union representing Dow Jones employees found evidence of a "significant pay gap between men and women" who had the same job title and level of experience.

Mom slams ACA repeal, shows what's at stake in a tweetstorm about son's health

This mom says that without the ACA, her son wouldn't get the medical care he desperately needs.