Donald Trump vs. Hillary Clinton: Where the candidates stand one week before the election

Source: AP
Source: AP

After Friday's dramatic development — in which FBI Director James Comey's announced that the bureau would be revisiting the issue of Hillary Clinton's private email server — many Democrats feared Republican rival Donald Trump would get the boost he needed to jump ahead in the race. But so far, the fallout hasn't been all that drastic.

How Clinton's poll numbers have been affected

Some polls show the Democratic candidate's lead narrowing ever so slightly. But two Politico/Morning Consult polls taken before and after Comey's announcement show Clinton's lead was barely affected. 

Before the drama broke out, Clinton was leading by three points in a four-way race (including third party candidates Gary Johnson and Jill Stein) and five points in a two-way race with Trump. 

After Friday's email incident, she now has a three-point lead in both categories — and with a two-point margin of error, Clinton's lead appears to be relatively fixed. 

RealClearPolitics, which aggregates major national polls, shows Clinton in the lead in every poll. Indeed, some aren't as comfortable for the Clinton camp as others. 

The Washington Post/ABC News four-way race poll puts Clinton and Trump at 46% and 45%, respectively.

Source: Graphiq

And an average of all the polls on RealClearPolitics — in a four-way race — leaves Clinton at 45.4% nationally, compared to Trump's 42.6%.

Does Trump have a chance of winning?

A chance, yes, but not much of one. Trump supporters won't be thrilled with FiveThirtyEight's statistical projection for a President Trump. (The site's founder, Nate Silver, was the only pundit to accurately predict the way each state would swing in the 2012 elections.) FiveThirtyEight predicts Clinton has a 78.1% chance of winning versus Trump's 21.9% shot.

But with only a week left before election day, pollsters and statisticians don't have that much time left to keep guessing how this will all play out.

How likely are you to make Mic your go-to news source?

Natasha Noman

Natasha is a News Staff Writer covering global affairs. She previously reported on regional affairs from Pakistan. Natasha is based in New York and can be reached at natasha@mic.com.

MORE FROM

Will Justice Anthony Kennedy retire at end of Supreme Court term? Here's what we know.

Rumors that the 80-year-old swing justice may leave the bench are fueling fear of a second Trump pick on the nation's high court.

3 states and D.C. allow same flammable building materials behind Grenfell Tower fire

The causes of London's Grenfell Tower are similar to the justifications used to waive fire regulations in the U.S.

New Jersey bill would require kids to be taught how to interact with police

Students from kindergarten through 12th grade would receive the education.

UK Parliament hit with cyberattack

Members of Parliament had difficulty accessing their emails Saturday in the wake of the attack.

Istanbul LGBT pride march banned by government for safety concerns

A right-wing nationalist group has vowed to stop the protest.

Compounds seized by US in December reportedly contained material useful in Russia probe

The Trump administration has reportedly been considering returning the New York and Maryland compounds to Russia.

Will Justice Anthony Kennedy retire at end of Supreme Court term? Here's what we know.

Rumors that the 80-year-old swing justice may leave the bench are fueling fear of a second Trump pick on the nation's high court.

3 states and D.C. allow same flammable building materials behind Grenfell Tower fire

The causes of London's Grenfell Tower are similar to the justifications used to waive fire regulations in the U.S.

New Jersey bill would require kids to be taught how to interact with police

Students from kindergarten through 12th grade would receive the education.

UK Parliament hit with cyberattack

Members of Parliament had difficulty accessing their emails Saturday in the wake of the attack.

Istanbul LGBT pride march banned by government for safety concerns

A right-wing nationalist group has vowed to stop the protest.

Compounds seized by US in December reportedly contained material useful in Russia probe

The Trump administration has reportedly been considering returning the New York and Maryland compounds to Russia.