Election Map 2016: Here are all the ways voting day could pan out

Source: Mic
Source: Mic

Pollsters have spent months crunching numbers, analyzing data and adjusting their forecasts to account for email scandals, leaked tapes and sexual assault allegations. But on Nov. 8, the guesswork of the 2016 presidential election will be over, and Americans will watch as a map of the United States is filled in with red and blue.

As Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump go head-to-head in battleground states like Arizona and Texas — two wildcard swing states given that they've both gone red in presidential elections over several decades — it's clear that almost anything is possible come Election Day.

Here are a few turnouts showing both Clinton's and Trump's potential paths to the presidency:

Clinton wins 

According to FiveThirtyEight, Clinton is likely to win in contentious states Nevada, New Hampshire, Maine, Florida, North Carolina and Wisconsin, which gives her 323 electoral votes. In this outcome, she would outdo Trump despite his expected win in Ohio, a state that has traditionally predicted the outcome of an election.

The likeliest outcome for the 2016 election, according to FiveThirtyEight
Source: 
270towin.com

It's likely, though, that Trump could take Florida as well, given the razor-thin margin in the state. FiveThirtyEight predicts, at the time of this writing, a 50.5% chance Clinton will claim Florida and a 49.5% chance Trump will. If Trump does land a win in the Sunshine State, Clinton would still edge out her opponent with 279 electoral votes.

The electoral map if Trump wins Florida
Source: 
270towin

Trump wins 

If Trump pulls ahead in states like New Hampshire, Nevada and Colorado — states FiveThirtyEight identifies as being among Clinton's "firewall" — he has a path to victory. And indeed, FiveThirtyEight's Nate Silver calls New Hampshire and Colorado as "toss ups" with close margins in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania as well. 

One version of a Trump win could look something like this, with the nominee claiming 278 electoral votes:

A path to the White House for Trump
Source: 
270towin

Giving Trump a more generous lead in states like Wisconsin, Michigan and Maine would give him a more sizable victory on Nov. 8, with 308 electoral votes.

A generous possible Trump win
Source: 
270towin

How likely are you to make Mic your go-to news source?

Marie Solis

Marie is a Slay staff writer with focuses in culture and class. Her writing has appeared in Gothamist and the Awl. You can reach her at marie@mic.com.

MORE FROM

Serena Williams responds to John McEnroe's comments saying she would rank "like 700" against men

Williams said his statements were "not factually based."

People are way less likely to be helpful when it's hot out, according to study

Sorry, it's too hot out to help you move.

Democrats, the American Medical Association and US bishops blast the Senate health care bill

According to the Congressional Budget Office, 15 million more Americans will be without health insurance next year if the bill passes.

Dow Jones won’t talk about its reported pay gap problem

A study released by the union representing Dow Jones employees found evidence of a "significant pay gap between men and women" who had the same job title and level of experience.

Mom slams ACA repeal, shows what's at stake in a tweetstorm about son's health

This mom says that without the ACA, her son wouldn't get the medical care he desperately needs.

Theresa May announces pact with Northern Ireland's conservative DUP

10 of the DUP's MPs will vote alongside May's party in exchange for more than $1 billion of funds.

Serena Williams responds to John McEnroe's comments saying she would rank "like 700" against men

Williams said his statements were "not factually based."

People are way less likely to be helpful when it's hot out, according to study

Sorry, it's too hot out to help you move.

Democrats, the American Medical Association and US bishops blast the Senate health care bill

According to the Congressional Budget Office, 15 million more Americans will be without health insurance next year if the bill passes.

Dow Jones won’t talk about its reported pay gap problem

A study released by the union representing Dow Jones employees found evidence of a "significant pay gap between men and women" who had the same job title and level of experience.

Mom slams ACA repeal, shows what's at stake in a tweetstorm about son's health

This mom says that without the ACA, her son wouldn't get the medical care he desperately needs.

Theresa May announces pact with Northern Ireland's conservative DUP

10 of the DUP's MPs will vote alongside May's party in exchange for more than $1 billion of funds.