We're still a few days away from the release of Disney's 56th animated film, Moana, about the adventures of a 16-year-old girl from a Polynesian island and her demigod sidekick. Fortunately, the soundtrack for the movie has come out, and as is the case with most Disney movies, this alone is worth celebrating.
Lin-Manuel Miranda, the mastermind behind the Tony-winning musical Hamilton, along with three-time Grammy winner Mark Mancina, best known for composing Tarzan, and Opetaia Foa'i, the lead singer of Oceanic music group Te Vaka, are some of the talent behind the songs.
Miranda wrote "How Far I'll Go," which is performed by lead actress Auli'i Cravalho, who plays Moana in the movie. The song appears again in the end credits, but is performed by Canadian singer Alessia Cara. Miranda is also behind "You're Welcome," Dwayne Johnson's Maui's song. As with "How Far I'll Go," "You're Welcome" also makes the end credits, but is sung by Jordan Fisher.
Here's the full track list.
1) "Tulou Tagaloa" – Olivia Foa'i
2) "An Innocent Warrior" – Vai Mahina, Sulata Foai-Amiatu & Matthew Ineleo
3) "Where You Are" – Christopher Jackson, Rachel House, Nicole Scherzinger, Auli'i Cravalho & Louise Bush
4) "How Far I'll Go" – Cravalho
5) "We Know the Way" – Opetaia Foa'i & Lin-Manuel Miranda
6) "How Far I'll Go (Reprise)" – Cravalho
7) "You're Welcome" – Dwayne Johnson
8) "Shiny" – Jemaine Celement
9) "Logo Te Pate" – O. Foa'i, Op. Foa'i & Talaga Steve Sale
10) "I Am Moana (Song of the Ancestors)" – House & Cravalho
11) "Know Who You Are" – Cravalho, Mahina, O. Foa'i, Op. Foa'i & Ineleo
12) "We Know the Way (Finale)" – Miranda & Op. Foa'i
13) "How Far I'll Go" – Alessia Cara
14) "You're Welcome" – Jordan Fisher feat. Lin-Manuel Miranda
The Cravalho and Johnson versions of the songs can be heard below.