A mass shooting left 1 dead and 9 wounded in the famed French Quarter of New Orleans early Sunday morning, Fox News reports.
During a press conference given on Sunday, Police Superintendent Michael Harrison told reporters that the victims ranged in age from 20 to 37 and included two women and eight men. The male victim who had been fatally wounded died at a hospital, he said.
Harrison noted that police responded to the shooting, which took place on a stretch of the French Quarter's well-known Bourbon street, at around 1:30 a.m. It had been a crowded post-Thanksgiving night for the area, he said, one that had seen a big football game between Southern and Grambling universities earlier in the evening.
"This was not the place or time to bring firearms to the Bayou Classic or any event," he said, according to Fox News. "This is not the place where something like this should happen."
After the incident, police arrested two men found to be carrying firearms, but neither turned out to be the suspect, Harrison said.
New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu told reporters that an investigation was still ongoing.
"We're going to pursue the investigation because there is a lot we don't know," he said.