If it weren't for a nanny cam in his sons' room, Utah resident Ricky Shoff might not know that one of his two-year-old sons likely saved the other's life.
But the camera was rolling when two-year-old Brock got trapped underneath a fallen dresser, ABC affiliate KSAT reported, and it captured his twin brother, Bowdy, pushing the dresser off Brock so he could escape to safety.
The Shoff family decided to upload the video to YouTube, with the title "Two-year-old miraculously saves twin brother," as a way to raise awareness of the dangers of unsecured furniture — and Ricky Shoff shared it in a post on his Facebook page on Sunday.
"I've been a little hesitant to post this," he wrote. "But I feel it's not only to bring awareness, but it is also incredible. We are so grateful for the bond that these twin brothers share. We know Bowdy was not alone in moving the dresser off of Brock. And feel blessed that he is ok. Please make sure all your dressers are bolted and secured to the wall. Please share."
Some have been critical of the boys' parents, but some point out that falling furniture is a fairly common danger, regardless of whether or not a parent is present.
According to AnchorIt.gov, a safety campaign from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, one child dies every two weeks, on average, because of a falling TV or piece of furniture.
Back in June, Ikea recalled 27 million dressers because of tip-over risk after three children were killed in a two year period.
But, as Ricky Shoff wrote in his Facebook post, there's a simple solution to ensure safety: anchor all televisions and top-heavy furniture to the wall to reduce the risk of a fatal tip-over.