- Robert Wittman (R)
- Scott Rigell (R)
- Bobby Scott (D)
- Randy Forbes (R)
- Robert Hurt (R)
- Bob Goodlatte (R)
- Eric Cantor (R)
- Jim Moran (D)
- H. Morgan Griffith (R)
- Frank Wolf (R)
- Gerry Connolly (D)
- Over 70% of voters turned out in Fairfax County.
- Obama leads Romney by 59% to 40% with ONLY 1% REPORTING
- 4 of 2588 precincts have reported.
UPDATE 7:20 PM ELECTION DAY - POLLS CLOSED!
Why is Virginia so important for the Presidential election? In 2008, the electoral votes went to the democratic candidate - Obama - for the first time since the 1960's! Will Republicans prevail this time?
UPDATE 2:45 PM ELECTION DAY
At my local polling place, where I helped hand out literature and talk to voters, it was crowded early morning, tapered off by 10 and was pretty quiet even at lunch time. Everyone was talking about how xrowded they expect it will be by late afternoon. There were a few more Obama supporters than Romney.
UPDATE 8:05 am ELECTION DAY
Polls opened at 6 am and will close at 7 pm. Both sons checked in at their polls in Virginia when they first opened at 6 am. One waited in line for more than an hour, the other fewer than 10. I voted absentee but saved my "I VOTED" sticker to wear today.
What a week leading up to this election!
- No Presidential Debates this week!
- The South evaded most of Sandy's impact and much of the coastal Northeast was decimated by high winds, surge and flooding. Many who still have their homes are still without power while temperatures fall. Some say the devastation is good for President Obama because of his increased visibility and appearing more presidential (and removing attention from negative issues such as Benghazi).
- On Friday, the Bureau of Labor Statistics released its October jobs report, which shows that the unemployment number has moved up, from 7.8% last month to 7.9% this month. For adult women, the rate is worse: the rate of unemployment increased by 0.2% to 7.2%.
- According to last week's Associated Press GfK poll, women are polling at 47% for Romney and 47% for Obama.
- A video of four year old Abigael crying because she was tired of "Bronco Bama and Mitt Romney" went viral with over 7 million views, affirming the views of many that enough is enough.
- En route home to Virginia from Miami, I adhered Romney/Ryan bumper stickers to my rollerboard carryon. As I was lifting it into the overhead, the flight attendant noticed and said, "I like your sticker." "Thank you. We have a lot of work to do," I said, giving her a quick hug. We exchanged smiles.
- At the farmer's market on Saturday morning, while working the GOP booth, an angry man said, "I don't see how as a woman you could support Romney." "Actually," I responded, "part of the reason I support Romney-Ryan is that I am a woman and I like their positions and that they are focused on the economy." As he started talking about women's reproductive rights I cut him off saying, "I vote with my smarts, not my body parts." Stalking off he muttered, "you'll look good wearing a burka." Huh? Did that really happen?
- Working the outdoor GOP tables on a chilly, windy afternoon at the county's absentee voting, the Obama volunteers brought me a sweet treat, I chased a pile of their flyers that blew away, and they did the same for me. Unlike the other experience, everyone was cheerful, regardless of political preference. Every voter deserves affirmation!
- I had 10 telephone messages in 24 hours related to the elections and I spoke to an additional 3 surveyers. In the last two days I received 6 pieces of political direct mail.
- My neighborhood is running about 50-50 on Romney vs. Obama signs. There are more Kane for Senate signs than Allen signs and more Moran for Congress than Murray.
Virginia Senate Race - Former Governors George Allen and Tim Kane
Real Clear Politics polling data average 10/22-11/1 Kane 48% Allen 47.2%
I am so excited about Tuesday! Check back for updates!
UPDATE Monday evening 6:25 pm
The Washington Post Kid's Post has two good downloadable tools for keeping tabs on the electoral votes - good for adults and kids:
Mitt and Ann Romney visited Fairfax, Virginia today for a rally at George Mason University. Senate-candidate George Allen joined the Romneys.
Rasmussen poll November 4 VIRGINIA voters
- Romney 50%
- Obama 48%
NBC News/WSJ/Marist Poll November 5 VIRGINIA voters
- Obama 48%
- Romney 47%
Rasmussen poll November 4 Virginia Senate
- Kaine 49%
- Allen 47%
PolicyMic will be covering the 2012 election from the state of Virginia live. For live updates, bookmark and refresh this page.