Most of us have heard about the ridiculous crap musicians request in the riders of their contracts. Riders, of course, are stipulations demanded by either signatory to a contract. Over the years, we’ve seen them request specific patterned furniture pieces to oxygen tanks.
Sometimes, the full-on insanity of it all is difficult to picture. Photographer Henry Hargreaves sought to give us a better understanding of the kinds of stuff musicians request backstage through the use of photography. Writing for Vice he said, “I was inspired to create this series after reviewing a few riders from some of the biggest acts in the world, all of which were ridiculous. But what I found most interesting about them is that they offered a glimpse into their larger-than-life personalities.” With that, let’s take a journey backstage to the inner world that is musical celebrity status.
1. Guns N' Roses front man Axl Rose: Fresh Wonder Bread (white), Dom Perignon.
2. Beyoncé: Juicy baked chicken, heavily seasoned: garlic, sea salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Beyoncé can only have Pepsi products.
3. Britney Spears: Fish and chips, McDonald’s cheeseburgers without the buns, 100 prunes and figs, a framed photo of Princess Diana.
4. Busta Rhymes: Twenty-four pieces of fried chicken, Rough Rider condoms, Guinness.
5. Foo Fighters: Big-ass kielbasas that make men feel self-conscious.
6. Lady Gaga: Small plate of cheese (nonsmelly, nonsweaty), on ice.
7. Nine Inch Nails: Two boxes corn starch.
8. Prince: Coffee and tea setup, including honey, lemon, sugar, cream, fresh ginger root. Physician will be used to administer a B-12 injection.
9. Rihanna: Hard-boiled eggs, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, at any time throughout the day. Please be prepared!
10. Van Halen: Herring in sour cream, large tube of KY jelly, M&M's (Warning: absolutely no brown ones).
I love these photos, they all feel like those paintings of food from the Dutch Baroque era. Really though, a framed photo of Princess Diana?