Editor's Note: An earlier version of this article contained graphic, but unconfirmed images which PolicyMic could not verify as true. We have replaced these photos in this version.
Protesters flooded Istanbul's Taksim Square Friday after heavy-handed police tactics and increasing dissatisfaction with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who some say is becoming increasingly authoritarian.
The mainstream media has yet to highlight the protests. Meanwhile, police brutality continues as over 900 people have been arrested and several have been killed.
Here are thirteen pictures from Twitter that show why we should take offense with mainstream media for not covering what could become an historic event.
Is This Arab Spring 2.0? Clearly, Gezi Park is a microcosm of seething resentment that has deeper roots, and urban planning spats like this are at the bottom of the list of grievances.
Why Has Turkey Exploded In Protest? Read more on the unfolding situation.
1. Aerial View Of Taksim Square
2. Protesters Clash With Riot Police in Bodrum, Turkey
3. Crowds Swelling in Taksim Square
4. Police Use Tear Gas and Water on Student Protesters
5. The Police Crackdown Begins
6. Blood in Istanbul's Streets
7. Protesters Face Riot Police
8. Protester Holds Sign Asking PM Erdogan to Hold True to His Words
9. Used Tear Gas Shells in Taksim Square
10. View From a Street Near Taksim Square
11. Police Brutally Deal With a Protester
12. Tensions Flare In Turkey
13. Revolution Will Not be Televised, It Will Be Tweeted
Someone got it right.
For more on protests in Turkey and politics around the world, follow me on Twitter: @C_Rice3