The UN chemical inspection team investigating a 21 August chemical weapons attack near Damascus has now left the country, after the possibility of a U.S. air strike cut the trip short.
The U.S. was allegedly waiting for the team to leave before launching any attack. President Barack Obama yesterday said that he is currently considering "limited, narrow" action in Syria.
Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin has dismissed U.S. claims that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad was responsible for the attack.
Putin said that such claims were "utter nonsense", and challenged the U.S. to present their evidence to the UN.
Secretary of State John Kerry yesterday said that according to intelligence reports, 1,429 Syrians were killed in the August 21 attack. A four page report released by the White House yesterday tied Syrian government troops to the attack, based on intelligence and analysis.
Doctors Without Borders reported 355 deaths from the chemical weapons attack earlier this week.
Syria 2013 Isn't Iraq 2003, and Obama Isn't Bush (PolicyMic)
Experts Fear U.S. Plan to Strike Syria Overlooks Risks (The New York Times)